Guild of Vergers Logo

History of the Guild

The Church Of England Guild of Vergers

A Brief History

 

The Church Of England Guild of Vergers Celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in 1992. This celebrated the original formation of an Association of what was then called the Northern Province. This followed a meeting between Vick Buck the Head Virger of Leeds Parish Church and Laurence Farrington Head Virger of Bradford Cathedral and others, in September of 1932 and a inaugural Service was held in York Minster and The Guild as we now know it was born.

Branches were soon formed in Deaneries and Diocese throughout the Country although the oldest known Association was the London Virgers Association formed in 1909   some in Southwark had been meeting since the turn of the century.

In 1943 The Church Assembly appointed a Commission to investigate the affairs of the Virger brought to their notice by the Archdeacon of London the Venerable E.N.Sharpe.

Following progress with the Northern Province a meeting was held in 1945 between those in the Northern and Southern Province and a resolution was passed to create the Church of England Guild of Vergers.

The question of the status of Vergers was raised again in 1972 when the Guild requested Synod to look at the Church Assembly report of 1943, but unfortunately this motion was eventually withdrawn. However we were asked to look again at our Structure and encouraged to look at Training, from this became our Annual Training Conference the first one in 1974 and following that the Training scheme was introduced in 1986 and is now firmly established in equipping Vergers in their varied ministries.

A working party report entitled “The Virgers Role in Today’s and Tomorrow’s Church “appeared in 1990 and was submitted to each of the Diocesan Bishops.

We are thankful for the Virger Magazine which has its origins in the London Association and its more modern format.

We are extremely grateful to our founding fathers and others who have worked over the years for the objects and aims of the Guild, at times we have had our burdens to bear but have managed to overcome them. Our Fellowship and Friendship continues and the call of God we all share, within an ever changing Anglican Church now and for the Future years to come.

The Guild is Governed by a Central Council Area leaders are elected from the membership there are currently 16 Areas representing 25 Branches and membership stands at present at, approximately 800 at the beginning of 2006